Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ethics of Sharing


Throughout my life as student I have seen this phenomenon of people holding back information that may be useful to others and have also been warned again and again about being too open. Don't get me wrong, being a counselor, I hold many close secrets to my heart and never break confidences about personal information . I am not going to post my password on the facebook status. Nor will I share my friend's love escapades in a blog. 

Sitting in your own shell is actually letting go of an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life.
I am committed to sharing things that help other people. I share things like an interesting article on the web or a chance to meet a famous person or the name of a cheap hotel in coorg. Information that is available and will benefit someone. The sharing of which benefits someone. ( That does not include chain letters) True some times this may create competition like those rare post doc oppurtunities ) but why run a race alone?

I share here a story that inspired me and continues to inspire me today. A young aspirant (Ii think it was Ramanujacharya) approached his guru for a mantra that will give moksha easily. The teacher taught him the name of Ram and told him," This mantra is surely the greatest and will give moksha to the user, it will work only if you keep it to yourself." The young aspirant thanked his teacher and then ran to the market place and shouted the mantra to everyone! The Guru was astonished and asked him why he did that? Replied the great saint to be- " Well, if I kept it to myself only I would have got Moksha, at my cost of not getting moksha, now so many people will get liberated."

As teachers, professionals, activists and good people, share information. Responsibly bring the RTI ( right to Information) into your own life. And you know what people whose lives are transparent need to live a life of integrity and inspiration, so it helps you decide and make a choice about your life. Finally as earth angels remember, people are more important than information, money or things.

No comments: