Thursday, December 03, 2009

DIJK in Holland

I went out in car with my  friends family on a road trip to visit the longest dike in holland. A marvel of engineering this separates freshwater from the saltwater.

"The Afsluitdijk  (Ofslútdyk) is a major causeway in the Netherlands, constructed between 1927 and 1933 and running from in North Holland province, to the village of Zurich , over a length of 32 km (20 miles) and a width of 90 m, at an initial height of 7.25 m above sea-level.




It is a fundamental part of the larger Zuiderzee Works, damming off the Zuiderzee, a salt water inlet of the North Sea and turning it into the fresh water lake of the IJsselmeer." ( verfied from Wikki)

this is the lake!




It doesn't seem like its possible for a little boy of ten to hold back the floods with a thumb or hand if this dyke is breached.


The wind was amazing, almost blew me off the small metal bridge that I clung to desperately, trying to click a photo while the wind snapped at my camera, pulling at its strap and tried to hit the lens cap on my nose! That's the sea and the wall of the dike.

 Here are the photos thanks also to my gorrilla pod that helped me click some shots with both my friends...
that's the saltwater behind us!

Some historical maps and photos of the construction, in the cafe of the monument built to symbolize the completion of the dyjk

No comments: